Harmony has always had a strong commitment to providing a healthy environment. Since January 2011 we have been certified as an Eco-Healthy Child Care center by the Oregon Environmental Council. This recognition signifies Harmony’s commitment to many aspects of environmental health:
- All our gardening is organic and we do not use pesticides or herbicides.
- The school is smoke-free inside and out.
- Harmony uses non-toxic cleaners (except when bleach is required) and the use of aerosols is prohibited.
- Water has been tested and is free from lead. Brita filters are used in each classroom for drinking water.
- Plastic containers are not used to warm up food in the microwave. Glass is used for children’s lunch “warm-ups”.
- The 3-R’s – reduce, reuse, and recycle – is practiced by staff and children.
- Our school composts all food scraps.
Local and organic food is purchased whenever possible. Organic milk is served at lunch as well as organic fruits and vegetables for snacks. Foods with trans fats are not served. No sugary foods or juices are served at school.