Harmony has always had a strong commitment to providing a healthy environment. In January 2011, the Oregon Environmental Council renewed the school’s certification as an Eco-healthy Childcare Center. This recognition signifies Harmony’s commitment to many aspects of environmental health:
- Gardening is organic, without pesticides or herbicides.
- The school is smoke-free inside and out.
- Non-toxic cleaners are used (except when bleach is required) and the use of aerosols is prohibited.
- Water is tested and free from lead. Brita filters are used for drinking water.
- Plastic containers are not used in the microwave. Glass is used for children’s lunch “warm-ups”.
- The 3-R’s – reduce, reuse, and recycle – practiced by staff and children
- Composting food scraps and leftovers
Organic food: Local and organic food is purchased whenever possible. Organic milk is served at lunch as well as organic fruits and vegetables for snacks. Foods with trans fats are not served. No sugary foods or juices (except for those occasional birthday treats!) are provided.
“We shall walk together on this path of life, for all things are part of the universe, and are connected with each other to form one whole unity.” Maria Montessori.